FORDSON Tractors History
The Fordson tractor is one of the brightest symbols of the "tractorization" of our country. It is often seen on propaganda posters of the 1920s and 1930s, and can be seen in many newsreels and feature films.
It is easy to guess that the famous industrialist Henry Ford, who invented not only cars, but also other equipment, had a hand in the creation of "Fordson". He perfectly saw the prospects of production in parallel with the automobile production and tractor equipment. However, the shareholders of "Ford Motor Company" did not accept Ford's proposals for the development of the tractor theme and blocked the diversion of funds to experiments with agricultural machines. In response, Ford and his son Edsel, as private individuals, formed Henry Ford and Son in Dearbron, Michigan in 1916. Its products had a new brand - "Fordson". The first-born of the plant, developed in 1915 by the designers of the development department of the "Ford Motor Company" Jozsef Galamb and Eugene Farkas, had a 20 hp engine. The number of gears was three forward and one backward.
Ford's new business did not fail - inexpensive and functional Fordson tractors, costing about $ 400, very soon flooded the fields of the United States. In 1919, Ford built another tractor plant in the Irish city of Cork (in his father's homeland), and Fordson quickly gained popularity on the European continent. Ford managed to beat all competitors not only due to the reduction in the cost of parts and assemblies produced by the flow method, but also due to the simplicity of the Fordson design. It had a rigid structure of engine, gearbox and rear axle, which made it possible to abandon the heavy steel frame and reduce the weight to 1130 kg. And to this day, the frameless layout is considered the benchmark for wheeled tractors produced by equipment manufacturers around the world.